I was under the impression that odd and even altitudes (1000' increments) were
assigned by course heading.  I would expect a pilot to question an assignment
to an altitude not "owned" for the duirection he is going.

________________________________
From: Harry Wyeth <hbwy...@earthlink.net>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Wed, April 21, 2010 1:37:54 PM
Subject: [USMA:47216] Re: Air flight altitudes in meters

When we were in New Zealand in 2004 I read an article in the NZ Herald that a
head on collision was narrowly avoided between two aircraft traveling to and
from the US in the middle of the night somewhere around Tahiti.  The Tahiti
controller had mistakenly told one plane to change altitude to match that of
the oncoming plane, and only because the automatic crash avoidance radar told
one to dive and one to climb did they miss by some hundreds of meters.

HARRY WYETH