From: James R. Frysinger <j...@metricmethods.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Sun, April 18, 2010 9:50:39 PM
Subject: [USMA:47171] Re: Air flight altitudes in meters

Thanks, John. Your knowledge obviously exceeds my faint acquaintance with this
matter.

Now, I HAVE had personal experience with aneroid altimeters, the
pneumo-mechanical sort where the big hand spun a complete circle for every "one
thousand feet" (I think that was the number). We used them on submarines to
measure the "pressure in the boat". (Non-submariners should call 'em "ships".)
Whenever we raised the induction mast to ventilate (an extremely infrequent
event on some missions) we would "zero" our altimeter readout by adjusting the
base pressure knob. As air bank pressures bled down due to air usage or rose
when compressors charged them back up, that readout would change.

Your experience undoubtedly was ABOVE sea level, though.

Jim