From: Bill Hooper <billhoope...@gmail.com>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Thu, December 30, 2010 7:57:53 PM
Subject: [USMA:49345] Re: metric gallon

I'd bet that the "metric gallon" reference is a typographical error.
The next expression uses "m gallon" which it later clarifies means "1000
gallons".
It is clear that both measures are measures of the same kind of thing, namely
the cost of water in dollars per something (the SAME something).

How the phrase "m gallon" was mistyped to be "metric gallon" would be a stretch
of the imagination at one time, but today, with automatic fill–in of
information
done on many computers, it is quite possible that the "the stupid computer did
it".

Specifically, the author meant to type "m gallon" and somehow messed up the
first letter (possibly typing "me gallon" or "mt gallon" or "mc gallon"), then
the computer's autofill took over and decided it should be the word "metric".
Finally, the author did not proof read his article carefully.

Hotels, laundromats, rest homes and industrial businesses will be charged 1.80
per metric gallon. Last year’s rate was $1.60 per m gallon.

Bill Hooper
1810 mm tall
Fernandina Beach, Florida, USA

   SImplification Begins With SI.