    Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 22:26:46 +0000 (UTC)
    From: ezra.steinb...@comcast.net
Subject: [USMA:53927] Re: YOUR LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL REQUEST - LC0044
      To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>
      Cc: USMA <usma@colostate.edu>

The only problem with "international system" is that it is extremely
generic. There are many international systems of XXX in the world today,
so not using the complete name leaves a lot of ambiguity, unforuntately.

-------------------------
   FROM: cont...@metricpioneer.com
TO: "USMA" <usma@colostate.edu>
SENT: Saturday, June 7, 2014 3:22:28 PM
SUBJECT: [USMA:53926] Re: YOUR LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL REQUEST - LC0044

    Yes Ezra. Your statement is correct, however, just as the symbol for
International System is SI (after the French initials) so too I think it
is better not to overload Americans with too many words. Most Americans
erroneously still know SI as metric system, a term that I think no one
still uses (except for Americans). The symbol is not SIU. The symbol is
SI, so SI literally represents the two words - Système International -
which translates into English - International System. This way,
Americans who might hate the metric system might get the idea that
the International System is something newer and better, which it
actually is, after all. What term do you all use when you discuss SI? Do
you say SI? Do you say metric system? Do you say International System?
Do you say International System of units? Or do you speak French? I
would love to know. By the way, I typically say International System
when I discuss the matter with people. (Sometimes I have to explain that
the former term metric system had expired in 1960.)

----- Message from ezra.steinb...@comcast.net ---------