Again? Really? We have been over this topic before.
See the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences
article.
-re, -er[edit]
In British English, some words from French, Latin or Greek end with a
consonant followed by -re, with the -re unstressed and pronounced /əɹ/.
In American English, most of these words have the ending -er. The
difference is most common for words ending -bre or -tre: British spellings
calibre, centre, fibre, goitre, litre, lustre, manoeuvre, meagre, metre,
mitre, nitre, ochre, reconnoitre, sabre, saltpetre, sepulchre, sombre,
spectre, theatre (see exceptions) and titre all have -er in American
spelling.

Most English words that today use -er were spelled -re at one time or
another. In American English, almost all of these have become -er, while in
British English only some of them have. The latter include chapter,
December, disaster, enter, filter, letter, member, minister, monster,
November, number, October, oyster, powder, proper, September, sober and
tender. Words using the "-meter" suffix (from ancient Greek -μέτρον
via post-Classical Latin meter) have normally had the er spelling from
earliest use in English. Examples include thermometer and barometer.

The e preceding the r is kept in American-derived forms of nouns and verbs,
for example, fibers, reconnoitered, centering, which are fibres,
reconnoitred and centring respectively in British English. Centring is an
interesting example, since it is still pronounced as three syllables in
British English (/ˈsɛntərɪŋ/), yet there is no vowel letter in the
spelling corresponding to the second syllable. It is dropped for other
derivations, for example, central, fibrous, spectral. However, such
dropping cannot be deemed proof of an -re British spelling: for example,
entry and entrance come from enter, which has not been spelled entre for
centuries.

The difference relates only to root words; -er rather than -re is universal
as a suffix for agentive (reader, winner, user) and comparative (louder,
nicer) forms. One outcome is the British distinction of meter for a
measuring instrument from metre for the unit of length. However, while
"poetic metre" is often -re, pentameter, hexameter etc. are always -er. -
End of article -

Let us not let the American spelling of meter become an issue. Let us not
throw the [meter] baby out with the [American spelling] bath water. Let us
accept the bath water the way it is as long as we can get Americans to
officially adopt SI. Keep focused on the goal rather than being knit picky.

----- Message from Harold_Potsdamer <harold_potsda...@cox.net> ---------