    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 06:20:53 +0200
    From: Michael Payne <metricmik...@gmail.com>
Subject: [USMA:54115] RE: Don't be a dunce!
      To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>

Not so. http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html#7.2 Somewhere in
there! I had it marked in my copy at home, and I’m not home for a
couple
of weeks.

   NIST recommends: 123 456 789.987 654 321

   Your present format 123,456,789.987654321

   Comma format 123 456 789,987 654 321

   Because of differing world standards, different countries use the
comma or dot as the decimal marker, others use the dot or comma as the
thousand separator, it’s important to be able to communicate what you
mean. NIST has established the standard as being a space for separating
thousands and leaving the option of a dot or comma as the decimal
point.

   Excel can be set up to show the spacing. Format>Cells>number select
“use 1000 separator”. I’ve got my computer set up to use the space
as
the 1000 separator just by setting it up that way.

   In word you can shift/space bar and it will give you an invisible
space that will hold a number together on a line.

   Mike Payne