The activity on this site seems stale. The same discussions/topics over and
over again for decades. Still debating l & L, -er & -re, as if the result
of these issues will somehow persuade Americans to adopt metric. No, the
debates distract. Concerning the l & L issue, as Martin points out, it is
strictly English (and some of their former colonies) problem, since from
the time immemorial until the 16th CGPM the L did not "exist." Also, litre
and dm3 were not exactly the same volumes until later the CGPM proclaimed
the former to mean dm3. Why do we make an issue out of a non-issue? Because
we (USMA) believe that the US will adopt the system if we "simplify" it.
What an irony. After training thousands of Americans in private industry,
government, and schools, I learned that the trainees had the same attitude:
Tell us what it is we need to know and we'll use it (because the
superiors, company policy, etc. said so).They do not care if metric is
simple or complicated, spelled -er or -re, ....
We should stop nitpicking SI by comparisons with what one or two of the
fifty European countries do. Many Europeans do not even know that they are
using the metric system. Never needed to know.
Specific to the volumes, nobody seems to have a problem with in3, ft3, mm3,
cm3, m3, so why do we waste our time on destroying this sequence with
unsettled symbol and spelling for one of the many volumes? Oh yes,
Americans will like SI better if they see exceptions. And the opponents of
SI will have material for anti-metric blurbs. While the Aussies, S.
Africans, Canadians, etc. had an effective task force for phasing metric
in, our Metric Board debated -er & -re, l & L. As a foreigner I viewed the
US as the most pragmatic of all countries. It felt like betrayal seeing the
incompetence. As for -re -er, Australians, get by nicely using only
symbols; everywhere - In the daily press, in the tech & sci documents,
labels, etc. as I reported several years ago after observing the
metrication status traveling there.
As a former V.P. of USMA, I am sorry to say that we are not helping
metrication much with our debates. One of the reasons why Congress did not
enforce the law was the discourse among metrication proponents. I just hope
that when a new wave of metrication effort commences, we just adopt the
"pure" SI. Perhaps the Churchill's saying applies here too: "Americans
always make the right decision - after they tried all the others first" (or
some such wording).
Stan Jakuba