Hi Brian,
as you may have guessed I’m not from ettus so maybe you can get better insight
from them. On my side I would recommend you look at the APIs to write/read
registers and the ones that set up streams to/from the device. These are the
main building blocks and you will find that the register access APIs have a
fire and forget approach by which if you lose a packet everything will stop
working (packet out of sequence error), which is typical in high load udp
scenarios.
Once you have looked at this you need to also emulate the software running on
the ZPU processor (or ARM if you use embedded series).
Note that interface to devices is handled by device3 block which will enumerate
all the available devices and allows you to bind each block to a given device.
Don’t think you will need to modify that if you emulate completely but it’s for
sure a place to look at.
Best regards,

Dario Pennisi