Maybe the old driver is getting loaded by the kernel on boot?

I had problems when first using ixgbe (Intel 10 Gbe) driver because I was
lazy about unloading the stock (outdated) driver that came with the Linux
distro.

rmmod <driver>

modprobe <driver>

Can't think of what the issue could be with your Sonnet Solo if the driver
you compiled is loaded as intended.

Regardless for people looking at this thread, I have not had any problems
with Intel x520-DA2 or x550 based products. Intel is also very good at
keeping their open source drivers up to date (cough BROADCOM cough).