Hi,

I'll firstly treat this message as a signal of rough consensus, since I
totally agree with what you phrased as "operational reality". But, I must
note that the WHATWG document you linked* has a green callout that says:
"This document and the web platform at large use Unicode IDNA Compatibility
Processing and not IDNA2008. For instance, ☕.example becomes
xn--53h.example and not failure. [UTS46] [RFC5890]"

thanks,
Rob

* https://url.spec.whatwg.org/#idna