stephane eranian wrote:
Maynard,

On Feb 16, 2008 1:07 AM, Maynard Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,
I have a requirement to build a kernel with both utrace and perfmon2
patches.  I'm using kernel version 2.6.24.  Since neither of these
features are accepted upstream yet (well, Jim Keniston tells me that
some initial pieces of utrace have been accepted), the patches don't
play nicely with one another.  The patches apply OK, but I get a compile
failure in perfmon/perfmon_syscalls.c because it's trying to use the
function ptrace_check_attach (removed by the utrace patch).  A separate
note is being sent to the perfmon2 maintainer to see if he might help,
but I thought I'd post here as well, in case someone has gone into this
territory already.

I have responded to the other message. Currently, all the perfmon code
needs is an equivalent to ptrack_check_attach(). I assume that a utrace
kernel emulates the user level PTRACE interface.
Stephane, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the main purpose of perfmon's use of ptrace_check_attach is to make sure the traced process is stopped. If that is true, perhaps all that's needed is to call the utrace function to stop the traced process -- utrace_set_flags with UTRACE_ACTION_QUIESCE.
Thanks.

-Maynard