>I grew up in the US, and was only exposed to the metric
>system in my science/physics classes.  I liked what I saw.
>Then I served my mission in Canada (Calgary mission, for
>those who care).  I grew to LOVE the metric system!  Now,
>ask me to judge kilometers, and I can.  I can't with miles.
>I also like the way that the metric system just makes sense.
>I realize that a transition in the US would be hard and slow
>in coming, but I think that Canada is an example of how
>it CAN work.  Sure, the older people hate and dispise it,
>but the younger generation knows nothing but the metric
>system and uses it for nearly everything.  I think that we
>should follow the example of our brothers up North.

I have mixed feelings about the two systems. I grew up with the metric
system, however, after I've come to the US, I got somewhat corrupted. In
running, I think very well both in miles and in kilometers even at the end of
a marathon. I can remember mile splits for myself, as well as for other
runners, and do all the calculations in my head. That's why I never bother
buying anything more expensive that a plain $10 watch - if it has a
stopwatch, and a bright light, that's good enough for me. One time a friend
of mine joked that if they opened up my head, they would have a long tape
filled with running times.

Things are a bit different with weight. My mom asked me recently how much I
weigh, and fortunately enough I the phone was close enough to the computer,
and I was able to give her my weight in kilograms with the help of bc. For
running shoes, I understand both grams and ounces equally well. However, when
the weight gets into the tons, I am much more comfortable with the metric
system.

Temperature-wise, I understand Farenheit a bit better than Celcius between
20F and 100F, but anywhere out of that range I would prefer Celcius. I recall
a humorous Russian song about a Russian runner racing against an African that
says "And it's really hot, 30 degrees (86F), but he is used to the heat, so
he is showing off. He would not be doing that if it were negative 30 ( -22F),
but now I can't get him, and the only thing left for me to do is to cuss".
For a while, I considered 86F really hot :-)

When it comes to volume, if it gas, water, juice, or soy milk, I am better
with gallons. But with anything else, liters make more sense to me.

Overall, though, I think that the metric system is superior.

--
Sasha Pachev
Create online surveys at http://www.surveypro.com/