On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 11:31 -0700, Richard Esplin wrote:
> I hope you see the hypocrisy in the statement "Playing with rethorics[sic] is
> wrong". Rhetoric is the effective use of language. Everyone who uses language
> uses rhetoric. Some are better at it than others. Language is a tool, like a
> computer. It is not wrong to use the tool, it is wrong to use the tool to
> beguile one's audience.

Ahh, but the ancient philosophers and great orators disagree over using
rhetoric to sway an audience is wrong.  In fact rhetoric is just another
tool in persuasive argument.  Some of the best rhetoric I've ever heard
has come from the pulpit of a certain Church-owned building not far from
here.

I myself struggle to use rehtoric effectively, but I enjoy those on the
list who do use it masterfully (Michael Halcrow and others) to make
their points.  You know you've won the argument all someone else can say
is "but, you're just using words!"  Kind of reminds me of the Simpsons
where Homer says, "facts can be used to prove anything."

Michael