David Hilton wrote:

> I personally dislike ads, but I think the main cause is because of
> poor targeting or there being too much distraction on a page.
> Google's ads generally don't bother me.  Am I alone in this?
>
> In general, I'm not sure I agree with the previous postings on the
> ads.  I'm interested in hearing some stats.  How much revenue has been
> generated?  Also, yes, they are not well targeted.  Yes, it is flash.
> Out of curiosity, if it were less obtrusive and better targeted, would
> you still have the same objections, or does the opposition stem from a
> moral opposition to ads in general?
>
> I can see that ads bring in valuable revenue to a site or
> organization.  I am familiar with the startup behind the ads, and I
> suspect that they would be pretty open to suggestions, especially
> considering that this is their beta.
>
> I think we should discuss this a little more, see how open to
> suggestions EnticeLabs is, and then take a vote.
>
> David
I don't like ads that much either, but I think there's a deeper issue
here.  The LDS Church, and by extension BYU, is a non-profit entity.  I
know several departments that have to be really careful to not foul up
this tax status.  For example, I know of at least one college on campus
that kept having to lower their labs' per-page printing rates, because
they kept bringing in more than was being spent on printers, paper,
toner, and corresponding service contracts.  Then of course they got
yelled at by the other departments on campus because they *already* had
lower per-page rates than pretty much anywhere else on campus, and it
made everyone else look bad.  Go figure.

The point is that, like it or not, there's likely a financial/legal
implication to having ads of any kind on a site hosted and sponsored by
BYU.  Has anyone checked with the CS Department (as our club's sponsor)
to see what they think?  If it weren't associated with BYU, then that
would be a completely different story.

--

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator