--- On Tue, 4/21/09, Aaron Toponce <aaron.topo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle is every bit as proprietary as Microsoft, and they have
> a reputation around where I work as being a bully, very "dog
> eat dog'.

Whatever Oracle's reputation for cutthroat business in the
proprietary arena, the company does also support a few open
source projects.

In any event, with the MySQL code already out in the world under
the GPL, the very *worst* Oracle could do would be to stop paying
developers to work on it and assert trademark rights to force the
rest of the world to use a different name.  Which isn't so bad,
really.

I have to disagree with sjansen on one point: right now, it's
probably too early for even Larry Ellison to know exactly what
Oracle will do :)  Whatever they do, though, I much doubt that
MySQL will be significanty hurt by it.