Andrew McNabb wrote:
> Topher has recruited me to give the next UUG meeting.  There are a bunch
> of related ideas that I'd be happy to talk about, so I would like to
> have some feedback from the list about what would be the most
> interesting and useful.
>
> CDs and DVDs are so 1990s.  Who in their right mind would spin a thin
> piece of plastic at 26000 RPM?  Not only are optical disks loud, slow,
> and inefficient, but damaged disks can even explode (see Mythbusters
> episode 2 for more details).  The only time most Linux users use an
> optical disk is when installing their system or importing a DVD, but
> many computers (like netbooks) don't even have optical drives.
>
> Anyway, there's a lot more to booting and installation than burning a
> CD.  Here are a couple of topics that we could cover:
>
> - making a bootable USB flash drive
> - using a USB flash drive as a rescue disk (I always have one in my
>   wallet)
> - installing by booting from the network (PXE Boot)
> - setting up a diskless Linux client to boot from the network
> - using a Kickstart for automated installation with custom scripts
> - installing a virtual machine with PXE
>
> Is there anything in this list that you would love to learn about?  Do
> any of these topics seem particularly boring?  Is there anything you
> would like to add to the list?  There are a ton of different directions
> I could go with this, and I want to make sure that I focus on what you
> find interesting.

I've often thought that someone should bring a machine with a few
distros' locally mirrored to the installfest, set up DHCP/PXE, etc., and
put the installfest network behind that.  That way anyone who could
pxeboot wouldn't need any media at all.  And for those old BIOS's, we
could just have a few USB keys or CDs with a basic gpxe image to boot
from.  Most BIOS can boot from pxe now, though, right?

Of course, I'm not sure how much load it'd put on the hard drives.  I
imagine that for just a handful at a time, it wouldn't be that bad.
Just a guess, though.

Lloyd

--

Lloyd Brown