On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 04:38:40PM -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:

> CDs and DVDs are so 1990s.  Who in their right mind would spin a thin
> piece of plastic at 26000 RPM?  Not only are optical disks loud, slow,
> and inefficient, but damaged disks can even explode (see Mythbusters
> episode 2 for more details).  The only time most Linux users use an
> optical disk is when installing their system or importing a DVD, but
> many computers (like netbooks) don't even have optical drives.

Thanks to everyone who came tonight.  I enjoyed everyone's comments, and
I think it turned out really well thanks to all of the participation.
As promised, the slides are available online:

http://aml.cs.byu.edu/~amcnabb/uug-optical-disks.pdf

I talked about the backup script that uses rsync with hardlinks for
incremental backups.  Note that the script is always in progress.  It's
located at:

http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/config/bin/backup-mcbain.sh

Please reply if you have anything to add.  In particular, does anyone
have any experience with backing up Blu-Ray disks in Linux?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/