On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 02:41:36PM -0600, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>    The typo correction, history sharing and�associative�arrays seem like
>    very�convincing�features. Can you�elaborate�on the multi-line editing
>    feature and the superb tab completion?

Sure. For multiline editing, compare the following. I'll use '$' for the
BASH prompt and '%' for the ZSH prompt, with their respective outputs:

$ for i in {1..5}; do
> echo -n $i
> done
12345

Now, press the up arrow, and what do you get? The whole statement on a
single line:

$ for i in {1..5}; do echo -n $i; done

Compare to ZSH:

% for i in {1..5}; do
for> echo -n $i
for> done
12345

Pressing the up arrow...

% for i in {1..5}; do
echo -n $i
done

This allows quick access to certain lines you coded above, without
navigating massive amounts of code on a single line, just to make a quick
change. I can press the up arrow (and down arrow) to navigate various lines
in the code without going to another command in my history.

For tab-completion, there is a lot to say about it:

    * Tab complete with recursive file globbing using **
    * Negating expansion (EG: expand everything that doesn't have "foo")
    * Give a list of every match without cycling through (and don't produce
      a new prompt line with the results above)
        * Includes variables, usernames, commands, files and directories
    * Along with typos, tab-complete probably matches, fixing the typo.
    * ... etc

This is coming off the top of my head. I'm sure Google can produce a better
set than that.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o