From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 5:17 AM
To: V-MAX TECH LIST
Subject: Re: Piston coating

On our high rpm racing V8's we always coat piston tops and skirts. The
reduction in cylinder wall scuffing and bore wear is definitely noticeable,
aside from the friction reduction (skirts) and anti detonation effectiveness
(piston crown). Don't waste your time with cranks unless it's on
counterweights
where you are trying to increase oil throw off and less cling. Don't do the
journals or the bearings, a waste of time and can have an effect on
clearances
which is not useful.
Our valve springs are coated in engines that are endurance deals. Big
advantage
here to spring life. The coating holds the oil better for more effective
cooling, heat being the most destructive valve spring enemy.
On our drag race engines we only coat springs when the oil flow to valve
covers
is marginal. Once again this brings more heat into the equation and heat
kills
'em. On a Max I wouldn't waste my money on the springs unless you have
higher
lift cams and more than stock spring pressures. You should also consider
coating cam lobes in this case.
If you are rebuilding an engine such as the V-Max I would always coat the
piston skirt and crown in either a stock 1200 right up to the big bore
engines,
especially useful if raising the compression and hence cylinder pressures.
We also coat valve covers to aid in oil return and heat dissipation. Coating
transmission gears in a bike engine would be a definite bonus to friction
reduction and wear.
We always use HPC for our stuff. They do all our exhaust systems as well,
inside and out. This stuff ain't no snake oil, it's Space Shuttle spinoff
and
is very effective for many applications as well as cosmetics, friction
reduction, heat dissipation and  corrosion protection.

Sam Blumenstein #795