Okay, I'm afraid most of what your saying is gibberish to me.
It's a bit hard trying to get V8 to work when literally the first example
doesn't work.

Could you give me a step-to-step tutorial on how I'm supposed to build the
hello_world example?

What I tried, based on the tutorial
(https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Getting%20Started%20with%20Embedding) was
the following:

$ fetch v8 # do download v8
$ git checkout -b 4.8 -t branch-heads/4.8 # to get to the correct branch
$ make x64.release # to build the lib?

And then I copy-pasted the hello_world.cpp file from that page and tried to
build it using the command that was listed there.
Which gives me a bunch of errors for missing .a files.

So my question is this:

Can you explain it to me like I'm five, how to I build and run this
hello_world.cpp example on OSX using make and gyp or whatever?
If the example is outdated then how am I supposed to do it?