On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:44 AM, madana gopal <madanagopal...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the doubt, i have regarding configuring V8 for low memory device.
>
> 1, When we run web pages with heavy data in javascript, old data space is
> getting occupied so quickly, since the young generation to space is lesser.
> Also, we can see many minor garbage collections are happening, since we are
> requiring more memory. Later the allocation is getting failed with
> allocation failure. It looks, old data space is not garbage collected so
> frequently. I am newer to V8 and from the documentation it is understood
> that old space will not garbage collected so frequently, We tried expose-gc
> option, but it is taking more CPU cycles. Could you please tell, how to
> configure V8 to handle this situation, so memory is garbage collected
> timely and also without any performance impact.

Garbage collection always costs CPU time. So doing more/earlier GC will
always have a performance impact. There can't possibly be a magic
configuration that changes this fundamental fact.

Also, V8 goes to great lengths to automatically find the right amount of
CPU cycles to invest in garbage collection, based on the allocation rate
and other signals. Unless you have clear evidence that something isn't
working as it should, it's probably best to just let V8 do its thing.

> 2,Also, is it good to disable optimization for less memory device.

I don't think that would be very beneficial.

> From which file i can make the optimization to O0?. Please clarify.

toolchain.gypi; but the potential memory savings are probably tiny compared
to the performance loss, so I would not recommend this.

> 3, While running V8 in low memory device, please tell what are all flags i
> can consider to make it work faster.

None. If anything, reducing memory consumption will also reduce speed. Any
flag that's a good idea to turn on is turned on by default.