On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:11 AM, madana gopal <madanagopal...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks much for the explanation.
>
> 1, We are seeing more time is being taken during the execution of
> charCodeAt() function (in Encoding the URI)  flatten call and more new raw
> byte strings are being allocated. Our low memory device is not able to
> allocate much memory in young space and many minor garbage collections are
> invoked. But , virtual memory keeps on increasing (i.e it looks major GC
> not yet performed).After sometime, application terminates with allocation
> failure.

What's the output of --trace-gc shortly before the termination?

> Whether this crash can be avoided by initiating/configuring major GC in
> certain time intervals periodically?. I have seen an option gc_interval but
> couldn't understand .

--gc-interval is a debugging/testing tool. It's *definitely* not what you
want.

> Whether avoiding flatten can be a good option to avoid memory usage?. But
> in the comments, i have seen it is necessary for searching a character in
> big string else it will be slower in search operation?.

When string flattening is done, it generally can't be avoided.

> 2, Shall we see by any tool, so we can identify the function,line
> number/statement where more CPU cycles are being spent?. Please clarify.

Not per-line. Look at https://code.google.com/p/v8-wiki/wiki/V8Profiler for
per-function profiling.