Hi,
I have just now joined this group and have come across Vagrant only
recently and out of my intrigue and interest i have spent some amount time
to understand its capabilities and usecases for myself. I have a question
in relation to hosting Vagrant, side effects and performance from a
baremetals perspective. This is my current situation:

- Possessing a Dell poweredge R710 with 2 cpu's and 6 cores each (total 12
cores) + 48GB RAM + 4 x 10kSAS disks (total of 992GB HDD) +iDRAC 6i + RAID0
- Installed VMWare ESXi 6.7 on a 32GB USB drive to boot stright into esxi.
I use the web interface to log into esxi console and launch two Ubuntu
18.04 server VM's and undertake any admin related activities. The ip is
static and vmware tools installed. I do not have any other VMware products,
installed.

My question:
1. VMWare: I came across josenk's approach to installing Vagrant on to the
ESXi (https://github.com/josenk/vagrant-vmware-esxi) but am not sure if
this is sure fire approach as it has an elaborate set of steps to take. I
could not find any other alternatives to install Vagrant and I am currently
not willing to invest in Vagrant+VMware paid license as i am unsure if it
would be compatible with my infrastructure (not gone there, yet!). Do you
know if there are any other easier alternative approach to installation on
ESXi 6.7?
2. VirtualBox: I could not find an approach to installing VB on baremetals
in a similar approach as to ESXi. I need to have an OS and then install VB
on top. This causes a predicament as in there are additional layers of
OS/hypervisor/OS to process requests and this could impact performance
which i am trying to minimise. If this is the easiest approach and offers
better reliability and stability, i would be interested in this approach
(would do it on top of Ubuntu 20.04).

Looking at these two options, what would the Vagrant expert recommend. I am
somehow begining to buy into the benefits of Vagrant.

Thank you and looking ahead to reading your response.

Cheers,
Sanub