I've used josenk/vagrant-vmware-esxi with moderate success. There's an
obligate password interaction needed for a deploy that makes it more
awkward than some other providers, but it generally works the way it's
supposed to and I've tried it with something like a dozen different boxes
(Linux host, ESXI 6.7 target). Virtualbox is not designed for standalone
baremetal installation (so far as I know), so it's not a good comparison.

If you want absolute highest performance, of course, you don't want any
layers of VM or hypervisor, but for ordinary work the performance losses
are usually small and acceptable. The strength of Vagrant is to be able to
do quick, repeatable installs of a particular VM environment and the
requirements on Vagrant boxes to work as Vagrant boxes mean a few
compromises on security and configuration. My understanding is that most
people use Vagrant as a way to bring up disposable test environments, not
as a way to deploy production machines (for which there are recommended,
better alternatives, such as Terraform, among others).

(My server is much more modest than yours; it's a Dell R210-II with just
one quad processor and 16GB but as a home server, it works for my small
experiments and is quiet enough except when the fans go all out for a
minute or so every couple of months when a new cert is being deployed to
the iDRAC.)

 -- jmcg