On 05/08/2022 14:09, Bresalier, Rob (Nokia - US/Murray Hill) wrote:

When running memcheck on a massive monolith embedded executable (237MB stripped, 1.8GiB unstripped), after I stop the executable under valgrind I see the “HEAP SUMMARY” but then valgrind dies before any leak reports are printed. The parent process sees that the return status of memcheck is that it was SIGKILLed (status returned in waitpid call is ‘9’). I am 99.9% sure that the parent process is not the one sending the SIGKILL. Is it possible that valgrind SIGKILLs itself? Is there a reason that the linux kernel (Wind River Linux) could be sending a SIGKILL to valgrind/memcheck? I do not see any messages about Out of Memory/OOM killer killing valgrind. Previous experience with this executable is that there are almost 3 million leak reports (most of them are “still reachable”), could that be occupying too much memory. Any ideas/advice to figure out what is going on?

Almost certainly the kernel OOM kiied it.

If you want to know for sure who killed it then strace it while
it runs and it should show you who sends the signel but my bet is
that it's the kernel.

One thing I see in the logs is about “unhandled ioctl 0xa5 with no size/direction hints”. Could this be a trigger for this crash/sigkill?

Not really, no.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)