Does heaptrack also show  the 'still reachable' types of leaks that memcheck
does?

Heaptrack intercepts malloc+free+etc, then logs the parameters, result, and
traceback; but otherwise lets the progcess-original malloc+free+etc do the work.
Heaptrack does not notice, and does not care, what you do with the result of
malloc(), except whether or not the pointer returned by malloc() ever gets
passed as an argument to free().

When heaptrack performs analysis, then any result from malloc() that has not
been free()d is a "leak" as far as heaptrack is concerned.  So that includes
what memcheck calls "still reachable" but not (yet) a leak.

Any chance that the 'massif' tool would survive the OOM killer? This may be
easier for me to get going as I already have valgrind built.

Worth a try if you have a day or so to spend.  Like all valgrind tools,
massif relies on emulating the instruction stream, so the basic ~10X
run-time slowdown applies.

Is there anything that can be done with memcheck to make it consume less memory?

No.