I can't see how that could possibly be construed as a security drawback. POP
is inherently insecure in the first place (sending clear text passwords
across the net) and password sniffing is much more of a problem (and the
easiest way to collect passwords) than people cracking passwords.

So, unless you're exclusively using a) POP3-SSL or POP over SSH to prevent
password sniffing, b)  shadow passwords (who isn't?), c) MD5 (or blowfish)
passwords on your current system (to utilize more than 8 char passwords),
and d) forcing users to actually USE long passwords it's quite silly to say
that using DES is a security drawback to using vpopmail.

The risk of having a password cracked is minimal on a userless system.

Matt