Never heard it described as a domain added as a different user, so I
figgured I would give it a shot.
I get the same error
~vpopmail/bin/vadddomain -u tim test.com test
modify .qmail-default to read
| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' /home/tim/domains/test.com/postmaster
send a test message to a non existant user

@400000003c05a4961b176acc info msg 91334: bytes 160 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp
6931 uid 64011
@400000003c05a4961b8fe2a4 starting delivery 12276: msg 91334 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@400000003c05a4961b906b5c status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
@400000003c05a49622df0274 delivery 12276: failure:
can_not_open_new_email_file_errno=2_file=/home/tim/domains/test.com/postmast
ertmp/1007002764.6934.mail.cimx.com,S=160/system_error/
@400000003c05a49622dff4a4 status: local 1/10 remote 0/20

Delivery to an existing user works fine.

so I thought this might be a problem with the .qmail-default file so I
changed it to read
| /home/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail '' /home/tim/domains/test.com/postmaster

@400000003c05a7051e93b494 info msg 90074: bytes 182 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp
7099 uid 64011
@400000003c05a7051f15f83c starting delivery 12288: msg 90074 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@400000003c05a7051f167d0c status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
@400000003c05a70522a0a1b4 delivery 12288: failure:
can_not_open_new_email_file_errno=2_file=/home/tim/domains/test.com/postmast
er/tmp/1007003387.7101.mail.cimx.com,S=182/system_error/

Looks like a bug.

Interesting how you get a response when someone posts all the details.