> > On Sunday 23 March 2003 02:36, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > When connecting to the server to attempt to collect mail, I am
> > > receiving an authorization failure. I have setup vpopmail to
> use
> > mysql> to store the domain and user info, and I am using vchkpw to
> > > authenticate the pwds and I am logging in using the "username%
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]" format. Is there a way to check the
> > authentication using
> > > vchkpw directly??
> >
> > # telnet mail.hostname.com 110
> > user [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > pass secret
> >
> > then check the logs.
> >

> > Also note, that we _do_ have an archive for this list and this
> > question has
> > been covered not only a million but fantastillions of zillion times.
> >
> > --
>
> Yep, thats how I am testing it. I also just noticed, that I had
> not
> pointed out that it is for virtual domains, and have confirmed
> that I
> am using the right login format. I'm not sure about the logs
> though,
> which ones should I be checking for the authentication attempts?
> The
> following which I would think are the ones are empty :/
>
> d97# ls -al /var/log/qmail/pop3d/
> total 6
> drwxr-xr-x  2 qmaill  wheel  512 Mar 22 18:23 .
> drwxr-xr-x  4 qmaill  wheel  512 Mar 22 17:31 ..
> -rw-r--r--  1 qmaill  wheel   27 Mar 22 18:23 current
> -rw-------  1 qmaill  wheel    0 Mar 22 18:23 lock
> -rw-r--r--  1 qmaill  wheel    0 Mar 22 18:23 state
>

> Clint

I belive I have it fixed.. firstly you have to be looking at the right
log files.. /var/log/maillog damn I feel stupid. But I noticed there
were some inconsistant looking permissions set in the /home/vpopmail
dir so I changed them all to owner vpopmail and authentication seems to
be working correctly now.. wierd :/

Thanks for the suggestions though! Everything always helps.

Clint