Maybe I'm being obvious here, but have you tried;
  chmod +x /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vdelivermail

I've gotten 5.3.27 to work beautifully on a couple different flavors of BSD,
most notably FreeBSD 4.8 and 5.1, so I highly doubt its a development error.

And, just for future reference, people may be a little more willing to help
you if you're a little more polite with your postings.

Thanks,
Derek