Hi,

> >Then create a file called 'sql' in the qmail control dir with the following
> >layout
> >
> >server  localhost
> >port    3306
> >database        vpopmail
> >table   relay
> >user    vpopmailuser
> >pass    vpopmailpassword
> >time    1800
> >
> >Add the -S switch to your qmail-smtpd script and restart the servers.

Make sure 100% that /var/qmail/control/sql file is either chowned 'qmaild',
chgrouped 'nofiles', or BOTH!

I forgot about that one time and changed ownership on that file to
vpopmail:vchkpw (during a server migration), and started qmail.

Apparently I didn't tail qmail-smtpd/log/current while tcpserver was
complaining about control/sql file "Permission denied".

This was for a few days before I found out my mail server was AN OPEN RELAY.
fixing the permissions on the sql file and restarting qmail fixed the problem.

> This is for tcpserver, correct? (Because the current version of vPopmail
> has a control file like this now.
>
> And what does your full smptd line look like now?
>
> e.g. I have (no tcpserver patch):
>
> env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
>          tcpserver -p -H -l0 -R -c 512 -x  \
>          /var/qmail/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u 301 -g 302 \
>          0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd foo.bar.org \
>          /var/qmail/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true &
>
> after the patch it would be?
>
> env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" \
>          tcpserver -p -H -l0 -R -c 512 -x  \
>          -S \
>          0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd foo.bar.org \
>          /var/qmail/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /bin/true &

If you are no longer needing the cdb file (example allowing particular
ips/subnets to relay) just omit the -x option.

Although I use -S for mysql relay info, I also still use the -x option to call
a static file that rarely ever changes:
-x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb

I think this is better than depending on the mysql db also for static
relayclients (unless they're over a 1000), and also in case of mysql database
failure, the static relayclients would still be able to relay mail (because
it's read from cdb on disk), while roaming users will fail - better than both
client groups failing.

Respectfully,
Tim Hasson