On Aug 18, 2005, at 3:53 PM, Rick Macdougall wrote:
Now the question that was originally asked I believe was if the MD5 encrypted passwords are compatible with an MD5 hash. My answer is I don't know :) A quick test would be to take an MD5 encrypted password from vpopmail, strip off the $1$ and use that as your comparison against a standard MD5 hash.

I don't know about an MD5 hash in other programs, but CRAM-MD5 for SMTP AUTH incorporates different information (the challenge) into the hash each time, so you need to have the cleartext password.

If you turn on cleartext passwords and password learning, if a user authenticates with their cleartext password (typically pop3), vpopmail can learn it and add it to the database.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You don't need a laptop to troubleshoot high-speed Internet: sniffter.com