By the way, to give you an idea of the speed of the i-ram drive with the XFS file system we tar-zipped the entire /usr directory into an 811MB archive. It took 54 seconds to untar-unzip it on a 4GB I-Ram drive and 141 seconds on a Seagate 750 GB SATA drive with the ext3 filesystem in the same machine. The CPU is a Core-Duo 6400 with 4GB RAM.

Straight file copies are even faster. Duplicating the same 811MB archive on the I-Ram took 13 seconds on the I-Ram drive and 43 seconds on the Seagate.

My plan is to use the I-RAM for the following directories;

var/qmail/queue
var/qmail/simscan
var/log

maybe /tmp

let me know if you guys think of any other directories that would benefit from the speedup.

Also, since the i-ram's battery backup only lasts a few hours we added some startup scripts to rc.local that try mounting the i-ram and then test for the existence of some key files. If they don't exist or the i-ram can't be mounted we then we assume the RAM got erased and use parted to re-create the partitions and mkfs to add the xfs filesystem. Then we mount the i-ram drive and copy over and untar the directories that we backed up upon shutdown (and also backup every few hours).

I think this approach should substantially speedup the mailserver and allow it to handle greater capacity.