Michael Mussulis wrote:
> It looks like I am talking partly nonsense, apologies for that. I've had
> another stab at the code, and it looks like the sql insert command
> statement has gid hardcoded to '0', and uid is the 'apop' value - which
> from what I gather (correct me if I am wrong), only works in clear text
> mode. So since I've disabled clear text, I am assuming the value is
> truncated to '0'; which makes me wonder - is this by design?
>
> Also, if I am not wrong (and would appreciate confirmation), these
> values have no baring on vdelivermail - although I found they are
> critical for Dovecot IMAP authentication.

Michael, part of the problem is that you're making modifications
to the source of your system without really understanding how it all works
together.  This makes it very difficult for us to have any confidence in the
fact that you're running on the same code base we are.

> Which brings me back to the question - what purpose do they serve in the
> first place?

When the vqpasswd structure was defined, it was modeled after the passwd-related
functions such that everyone would be familiar with it's syntax.

Since then the pw_gid field has been updated to store user flags, and the pw_uid
flag is *mostly* ignored and just passed around as it stands by the various
parts
of the API.  Although the pw_uid portion remains unused for the most part, it
is still considered reserved, and should not be modified.

> So I am back to square one. I still have no clue which permission is
> affecting the delivery of mail for user specified domain. Please
> someone, any ideas where else I could look?

As I said, it's tough to determine why you're having this problem.  There
could be any number of issues.  Do you have any kind of security restrictions
placed on setuid?  Do you have SELinux, or any of the other many low-level
system restrictions running?

Are you running qmail-start under a restricted environment?

Are the uid:gid values in /var/qmail/users/assign correct?  Is the cdb
file updated?  Run /var/qmail/bin/qmail-newu.

Check system logs for errors, etc, etc.

There are *so many* different things that could be wrong, if you can't figure it
out, you may want to consider purchasing technical support.
- --
/*
    Matt Brookings <m...@inter7.com>       GnuPG Key FAE0672C
    Software developer                     Systems technician
    Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.     (815)776-9465
*/