From:   Evelio Quiros <evq...@fiu.edu>
To:     "vcl-user@incubator.apache.org"
            <vcl-user@incubator.apache.org>,
            "'vcl-...@incubator.apache.org'"
            <vcl-...@incubator.apache.org>,
Date:   05/24/2012 10:58 AM
Subject:        Re: Max Number of VMs per Host

Hello,

As you know, the number of Virtual Machines per host depends on available
resources (CPU, RAM, Disk), as well as the demands of the image.
As a general guide, I have found the following to be reasonable. Other
admins, please share your opinions.

For a single VM host with 12 virtual CPU and 98 GB RAM, I typically
allocate 25 Windows VM. When necessary, I have raised it to 32 Windows XP
machines. For linux based images, I have used 50 VM without issues. Monitor
the performance tab on your vSphere client to see if the host is
over-worked.
On Virtual Machines that require higher performance, I usually will not
place them on a host with more than 10 working VM. But the most important
thing is to watch the performance closely. You will get a feel for how many
VM per host by experience.
As always, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Al Quiros