That's more or less what we're doing.  Here are some details:

The source VM I'm capturing from is not represented in DNS at all.

On my management node in /etc/hosts I have:

 10.50.84.15     vcl-linux-template-2-bak
 128.135.192.15  vcl-linux-template-2

(The second line is for my reference; it shouldn't be used by anything
as far as I know.)

In dhcpd.conf I have:

 host vcl-linux-template-2-bak {
        option host-name "vcl-linux-template-2";
        hardware ethernet 00:50:56:01:99:0f;
        fixed-address 10.50.84.15;
        filename "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0";
        option dhcp-server-identifier 10.50.84.2;
        next-server 10.50.84.2;
 }

In the VCL database, the IP address for this host is 10.50.84.15 and the
hostname is "vcl-linux-template-2-bak".

During capture, when prompted for the hostname or IP address of the
image to capture, I enter the IP address.

That all works fine for starting the capture.  But for some reason, when
the VM image is captured and then immediately redeployed, it comes up
with its public-facing interface set to 10.50.84.15, and it appears that
something in the capture process is rewriting the ifcfg-eth1 config file
to match that address.

That's why I tried changing the IP in the database to the public one,
which led to the ssh failure.

--
Michael Jinks :: mji...@uchicago.edu :: 773-469-9688
University of Chicago IT Services