On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:35:34AM -0500, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

> [...]

I cannot say that I do not fail to parse English sentences with double
or triple negations...

I'd like to see an API that lets us define a persistent initial management
interface, and create volatile network devices during runtime. I'd love
to see a define/create distiction, as libvirt has.

How about keeping our current setupNetwork API, with a minor change to
its sematics - it would not persist anything. A new persistNetwork API
would be added, intending to persist the management network after it has
been tested.

On boot, only the management defitions would show up, and Engine (or a
small local sevice on top of vdsm) would push the complete
configuration.

setSafeNetConfig, and the rollback-on-boot mess would be scrapped.

The only little problem would be to implement setupNetwork without
playing with persisted ifcfg* files.

> Having said that, let's come back to your original claim:
> """while generic host can keep the flexibility of customization."""
>
> NOBODY, and I repeat my answer to Dan, NOBODY claim we should not support
> generic host.
> But the term 'generic' seems to confuse everyone... generic is a a host does
> not mean administrator can do whatever he likes, it just a host that is
> installed using standard distribution installation procedure.
>
> Using 'generic host' can be done with either stateful or stateless modes.
>
> However what and how customization can be done to a resource that is managed
> by VDSM (eg: storage, network) is a complete different question.
>
> There cannot be two managers to the same resource, it is a rule of thumb, any
> other approach is non-deterministic and may lead to huge resource investment
> with almost no benefit, as it will never be stable.
>
> > So moving back to
> > the
> > discussion network configuration,  I would like to suggest we could
> > adopt both of the two solutions.
> >
> > dynamic way (as Alon suggested in his previous mail.) -- for oVirt
> > node.
> > It will take a step towards real stateless. Actually it's also
> > helpful
> > to offload the transaction management from vdsm for the static way.
>
> It will also provide the framework needed in order to provide network on
> demand as Livnat plan.
> Define network resources (and I guess storage) when VM is moved to the host.
> In this mode there is no other way to go!
>
> > We're going to build vdsm network setup module on top of generic host
> > network manager, like libvirt virInterface. But to persist the
> > network
> > configuration on oVirt node,  vdsm has to care about the details of
> > lower level. If we only run the static way on the generic host, then
> > host network manager could perform the rollback stuff on behalf of
> > vdsm.  I only have two comments on dynamic way:
> > 1. Do we really need to care about the management interface? How
> > about
> > just leaving it to installation and disallow to configure it at
> > runtime.
> > 2. How about putting the retrievement network configuration from
> > engine
> > into vdsm-reg?
>
> vdsm-reg is going to be killed soon, just like the vdsm-bootstrap.
> I was tempted to do this for 3.2, but I was taken...

I, too, see no benefit in vdsm pulling its setup from Engine, over
Engine pushing it once it is aware of the new host (and knows that the
host is needed, and that its network config has changed, etc).

> > static way -- for generic host. We didn't follow much on this topic
> > in
> > the thread.  So I would like to talk about my understanding to
> > continue
> > this discussion.
> > As Dan said in the first message of this thread, openvswitch couldn't
> > keep 3rd level configurations, so it's not appropriate to use itself
> > cover the base network configurations. Then we have two choices:
> > netcf
> > and NetworkManager. It seems netcf is not used as widely as NM.
> > Currently, it supports fedora/rhel, debian/ubuntu and suse.
> > support a
> > new distribution, you need add a converter to translate the
> > interface's
> > XML definition into native configuration, because netcf just covers
> > the
> > part of static configuration, and relies on the system network
> > service
> > to make configurations take effect.

This may be a good opportunity to show

$ git grep NETCF_TRANSACTION
src/drv_suse.c:#define NETCF_TRANSACTION "/bin/false"

i.e., a considerable efferot has to take place in order to get
distribution-neutrality out of netcf.

Beyond that, netcf is all about cf: configuration. It take lesser care
about the current state of network devices. So to perform on-line
changes to them, the user is responsible to taking them down, chagine
the config, and taking them up again - just like what we do with ifcfg*
files.

> > Compared with netcf, it's easier
> > support new distribution because it has its own daemon to parse the
> > self-defining key-value file and call netlink library to perform the
> > live change. Besides that, NM can also monitor the physical
> > interface's
> > link status, and has the ability run callback on some events. Daniel
> > mentioned that libvirt would support NM by the virInterface API.
> > That's
> > good for vdsm. But I found it didn't fit vdsm's requirements very
> > well.
> > 1. It doesn't allow to define a bridge on top of an existing
> > interface.
> > That means the schema requires you define the bridge port interface
> > together with the bridge.
> >     The vdsm setupNetwork verb allows creating a bridge with a given
> > name of existing bonding. To work around it, vdsm has to get the
> > bonding
> > definition from libvirt or collect   information from /sys. And then
> > put
> > the bonding definition into bridge's definition.
> > 2. It also removes its port interface, like bonding device together
> > when
> > remove bridge.  It's not expected by vdsm when the option
> > 'implicitBonding' is unset. To work around it, vdsm has to re-create
> > the
> > bonding as said in 1.
> > 3. mtu setting is propagated to nic or bond when setting a mtu to
> > bridge. It could break mtu support in oVirt when adding a bridge with
> > smaller mtu to a vlan whose slave nic is
> >     also used by a bigger mtu network.

this smells like a plain bug in NM. I believe they'd like to support
managing vlans with different MTUs based on the same strata.

> > 4. Some less used options are not allowed by the the schema, like
> > some
> > bonding modes and options.
> >
> > Some of them could change in the backend NM.  But it's better to
> > claim
> > vdsm's requirements while libvirt is moving to NM. Is it better that
> > if
> > libvirt allow vdsm manipulate
> > sub-element of a network?  Probably Igor and Antoni have more
> > comments
> > on it.
>
> I don't like using libvirt for networking. We should interact directly
> with the host network manager or whatever alternative we choose.

I do like using libvirt's abstraction - when it has non-/bin/false
substance behind it. I think that it has a potential to help projects
outside oVirt.

Dan.