Oops - of course I meant to write "should NOT be confused" rather than
"should be confused".

Sorry for the confusion :-)

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff
Lightner
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:00 PM
To: Patrick; veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] login through veritas

Right - you should pretty much be able to hit any open port with the
telnet command which should be confused with the "telnetd" daemon that
uses port 23.

It's a good basic test when you want to see if connectivity to a given
port is an issue.   It has nothing to do with being able to actually
access the service listening on that port unless that service is poorly
written.