From: Ed Wilts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 12:04 PM
To: Curtis Preston
Cc: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] login through veritas

On Feb 9, 2008 1:18 PM, Curtis Preston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Remember: background checks on your backup admin are a good
thing

Just remember that as a backup admin, I'm also a restore admin.  I can
restore your passwd and shadow files with my own, read any file on your
system and restore it to my own system, and restore garbage overwriting
good files on your system.  It wouldn't take me an hour to write a
script that would render every backup client unbootable and also wipe
out all of the backup images.  If you don't trust me, then we both have
a problem.  Similarly, we have to trust our electricians not to fry all
of our equipment and our janitors not to see what a bottle of Coke will
do to a storage array or a tape library.

No amount of NetBackup authentication protection will help you with a
disgruntled backup/restore administrator.  The rights they need to do
their jobs are precisely the same rights they can use to hurt us (not
unlike the Secret Services carrying guns while protecting our
president).

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA