________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Wilts
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:47 PM
To: Hadrian Baron
Cc: veritas-bu@mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Is BMR worth it / How long does it really save
you?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Hadrian Baron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

        Does BMR really speed up recovery significantly?  Reading
through  the documentation it seems that between the multiple reboots,
reinstalling windows, restoring the data files, reformat time, it seems
like it doesn't save much time over a typical restore (manually reformat
the system, load nic drivers + Netbackup, and kick off restore).

Disclaimer:  I've seen the demos but we don't have it running yet.  I
know the theory though.

I've seen a full system restore from bare metal in 20 minutes.  Our
Windows admins take a day or 2 to rebuild a server...and even then, they
don't always get it right.

One of the key things to consider, though, is how important it is to get
the server back to the exact same configuration it was before it died.
If it's important, and it probably should be, BMR is far more critical
than a simple re-install.  Don't forget that not only do you have to
re-install Windows, you'd have to apply all of the identical server paks
you had on the system to begin within, all of the exact same versions
and patches to the applications, identical drivers, identical registry
settings, local user configurations, share configurations, and only then
can you worry about the application data.  If you try the rebuild
approach, the odds are almost 100% that what you end up with will not be
the same as what you started with.  One missed setting and your
application could crash, fail, or corrupt data.  You may not even
partition the drives the same as what you had.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]