Hi Scott,

I am not quite sure if I understand softlimit/hardlimit concept
in storagecheckpoints.  According to manual:
> If a hard limit is exceeded, all further allocations on any of the
> Storage Checkpoints fail, but existing Storage Checkpoints are
> preserved. Without the -f option, one or many removable Storage
> Checkpoints are deleted to make space for the operation to succeed.
I have setup hardlimit:
kos:/var/tmp# fsckptadm getquotalimit /vxfs/test-vol
Filesystem                       hardlimit            softlimit usage
     action_flag
/vxfs/test-vol                   31000                0         61611

I have the following storage checkpoints:
kos:/root# fsckptadm -v list /vxfs/test-vol
/vxfs/test-vol
f3:
        ctime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:45:21 2008
        mtime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:45:21 2008
        flags                =  largefiles, removable
        # of inodes          =  32
        # of blocks          =  61441
        # of reads           =  0
        # of writes          =  0
        # of pushes          =  0
        # of pulls           =  0
        # of moves           =  0
        # of move alls       =  0
        # of merge alls      =  0
        # of logged pushes   =  0
        # of enospc retries  =  0
        # of overlay bmaps   =  0
f2:
        ctime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:45:13 2008
        mtime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:45:13 2008
        flags                =  largefiles, removable
        # of inodes          =  32
        # of blocks          =  1
        # of reads           =  0
        # of writes          =  0
        # of pushes          =  0
        # of pulls           =  0
        # of moves           =  0
        # of move alls       =  0
        # of merge alls      =  0
        # of logged pushes   =  0
        # of enospc retries  =  0
        # of overlay bmaps   =  0
f1:
        ctime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:44:48 2008
        mtime                =  Wed Sep 24 10:44:48 2008
        flags                =  largefiles, removable
        # of inodes          =  32
        # of blocks          =  1
        # of reads           =  0
        # of writes          =  0
        # of pushes          =  0
        # of pulls           =  0
        # of moves           =  0
        # of move alls       =  0
        # of merge alls      =  0
        # of logged pushes   =  0
        # of enospc retries  =  0
        # of overlay bmaps   =  0

It seems that one (a few ?) of them should be deleted to make
space. Could you please tell me more where is the problem ?

Regards
przemol

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 03:57:38PM -0700, Scott Kaiser wrote:
> Hi Przemyslaw,
>
> Have you looked at the existing quotas?
>
> http://sfdoccentral.symantec.com/sf/5.0/solaris/manpages/vxfs/fsckptadm_
> 1m.html#429951
>
> The -r option doesn't delete any checkpoints, it just makes each
> individual checkpoint 'removable'. Plus, it's been the default since
> 4.0, so unless you have a really old system, you don't need to specify
> it.
>
> It's the setquotalimit that matters. That is expressed in absolute limit
> (# of fs blocks). Are you saying basically, yes, that's what you want,
> just allow it to be relative (90%)?
>
> Also note that the hard limit on checkpoints doesn't necessarily remove
> only the oldest checkpoint when exceeded -- it removes enough removable
> (again, default) checkpoints starting with the oldest until all
> checkpoints are below the hardlimit.
>
> Scott

Regards
Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)