On Apr 14, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Quinn Taylor wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 12:09 PM, CodeWarrior wrote:
>
>> Me too... i say for my friends to don't buy Versions again. The
>> Eclipse Integrated SVN Control Plugin is more better. I think, why
>> i bought and spend my money with Versions. They no add any value
>> for me. I'm repassing this mail for other mail lists and forums.
>>
>> Thankx
>>
>> --
>> The Future Begins Today
>>
>> Em 14/04/2009, às 15:40, Lorin Rivers escreveu:
>>
>>> Unfortunately I am not getting the benefit of my paid registration
>>> while I wait for Versions to catch up with Subversion.
>
> Sorry to be so contrary, but this claim is utter nonsense. If you
> registered, you can certainly use the app, and nothing is keeping
> you from "getting the benefit of [your] paid registration". What you
> mean to say is that you want to use SVN 1.6 across the board, and
> Versions doesn't yet work with 1.6 working copies, so it doesn't
> work seamlessly with your desired workflow. I can certainly
> understand the desire to use SVN, but the fact that you'd have to
> install an additional package on OS X to do so means this problem of
> your own making.

I can't use Versions & svn 1.6 at the same time. I CAN use svnX (warts
and all) and SCPlugin with svn 1.6. Since svn is required and 1.6 is
what I am using, so I haven't launched Versions in weeks.

> I can't speak for everyone, but for me Versions is simpler than the
> SVN support in Xcode, and is FAR more usable than either Subversive
> or Subclipse. (Eclipse in and of itself is a UI and usability
> abomination, despite the power and convenience it brings, but that's
> a discussion for another day.) Just try editing SVN properties or
> browsing history in real-time with Eclipse or Xcode. Especially in
> Eclipse, doing examining virtually any detailed information (diffs,
> history, properties, etc.) requires right-clicking and navigating
> menus. It's no skin off my nose if you want to crawl back to (what I
> consider) an inferior tool. Despite trumpeting your disdain for
> Versions, you won't fool anyone who can tell the difference between
> good UI and bad UI, either.

Don't conflate my comments with CodeWarrior's. I'd LOVE to be using
Versions, but if I have to use svn instead, I will (and do).

> If your only reason for being upset at Versions and telling friends
> not to buy it is because of 1.6 compatibility, you're doing them and
> yourselves a disservice. Support for 1.6 is on the way (regardless
> of whether or not the devs provide a firm date) and the app works
> just as well under SVN 1.4.x. Claiming that you're not getting your
> money's worth is absurd — hopefully you paid for Versions based on
> the feature set it currently has, not based on wishes and promises.
> Buying software based on what you hope it does, then whining when it
> doesn't do every bit of what you expect isn't the smartest way to
> go. It also tends to annoy people who are perfectly happy with the
> software when the whining is broadcast in public forums.

Statement of fact: "I'm not getting the benefit of my paid
registration while I wait for Versions to catch up with Subversion".
See above.

> I want to see 1.6 support as much as the next person, and I'd
> especially love to be able to have Versions link against external
> SVN libraries seamlessly. However, please realize that bitter
> complaining doesn't solve the problem — it won't make 1.6 support
> come any sooner, and it just adds to pile of emails the devs already
> have to sort through. They're working hard, and they're people with
> lives too — they're not anyone's slave just because that person
> happened to purchase a software license, and they don't "owe" you
> anything beyond what you received to begin with. They'd be within
> their rights to charge for updates, or halt development completely —
> none of us are stockholders or part owners, so let's not act like we
> have the right to demand a darn thing.

I'm not demanding a thing and neither is CodeWarrior. He did say he's
going to share his feelings in a variety of forums, which is his
right. There's an old saw about the number of people a dissatisfied
customer tells about his experience vs. the number of people satisfied
customers tell. It's true.

If a person (such as me) needs to use svn 1.6, Versions isn't much use
to them, nice ui or no. Or am I missing something?

--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing <http://www.mosasaur.com>