Generally, the version on the server is not crucially important,
unless you want to take advantage of features in a particular version.
If the server is running v1.5.5, you can still use a client in v1.4.6
mode, for example. The latest version of Subversion is v1.6 and only
the beta version of Versions supports that. The current stable release
gives you v1.4.6 or v1.5.4.

/TheDO/