I also am turning my attention to boat-fishing this year.  I sold my big
cuddy-cabin a couple of years ago, and have been 'destination fishing' for
the last few years.  This summer I intend to concentrate more on local
waters using my 15' Gruman Sport-canoe (wide, flat-bottom, square-stern).
It's very stable by itself, but I also purchased an outrigger kit for it for
additional stability while standing-flycasting.  I will build a removable
redwood casting platform for the front section to also give the front person
more foot-room and line control (for use with the outriggers).  That way we
can fish rivers or lakes.  Being that it's a square-stern, I can get a small
outboard for it, or paddle it for close-in for quiet approaches, or on
rivers. And since it a lightweight canoe, I can slide it in next to the ATV
in the toy-hauler trailer and take it camping with us without the need for a
boat-trailer.

Wind is quite the consideration here in Wyoming, and we're not talking
breezes. A 30-knot wind with 50-knot gusts (or worse) can come out of
nowhere on a blue-sky day, white-capping the waves.  The motor is a
necessity when this occurs, and a safety issue.  An electric trolling motor
may be the way to go, since that will power other items, but I have seen gas
engines with alternator additions.  I've seen lots of accessories, like
canoe-seats, that will make it more comfortable for long outings.

To me, it's like getting back to simple basics, as I've had the canoe for
almost 30 years, and have had it out on almost every body of water in my
extended area.  The big difference is that Cheryl has taken up the long rod
and will be my fishing partner, giving me flexibility to go drown flies
whenever.  She feels more confident with the outriggers.