From: Don Ordes <f...@tribcsp.com>
Subject: [VFB] Re: Production Fly Tying for a living
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 9:50 PM

Jimmy,
I tied commercially - in the loooong ago past-
for a short time. Very Major
YUK!

For a professional tier, tying time is only a
portion of the time invested.  It depends on how efficient you are, how
well planned your set-up time is, your tying facilities, etc.  If you can
be efficient in all these things, the %age of overhead services
will be smaller.  There's accounting, book-keeping, account payable,
accounts receeivable, bill collecting, sales, purchasing & problems with
supplies/suppliers, materials handling and control, shipping, etc.  One
thing commercial tiers had was a huge box of waste necks with unuseable
feathers.

Take all the hats any business owner wears and the
professional tier has to wear them at some time.  I estimated with all of
the time invested besides tying, the actual realistic
production time (tying) was about 50% getting started, and once
the bugs got worked out, about 70%.  If you don't pay attention to the
support functions, it will fail.  If you pay for the services, it comes
right off the top.

Competition from overseas tying has make commercial
tying here either starvation wages or hobby only.
So factor these things in with your
calculations.