Sorry, My reply was to be off list. I still goof.
Tony

--- On Fri, 11/20/09, Anthony Spezio <bambot...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Anthony Spezio <bambot...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [VFB] Re: Show tying and sales, and 'bennies' -is it worth it?
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 9:28 AM

--- On Mon, 11/16/09, Don Ordes <f...@tribcsp.com> wrote:

From: Don Ordes <f...@tribcsp.com>
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, November 16, 2009, 10:35 PM

Tying shows, like Tony says, are different in how
they handle tiers and vendors and selling.  Here's my short
history:

I've been tying at Casper shows since the early
80's, so expenses were no big deal, and I could sell to my heart's
content.

The 1st out-of-state show I was invited to tie at
was the Internat. Sportsman's Expo in Denver in 1995, by Pete
Parker.  One $$ 'bennie' at that
show was a nice personalized ExOfficio Fishing shirt, and the ISE logo on
it was a calling card at shows that one had 'arrived' at celebrity status.
It was explained to me that tying in the video theater there was a status
symbol
in the front range arena, and wearing the shirt was your 'badge'.  The
second benny was my free private tying table, where I could sell anything I
wanted (sold lots of flies and took orders).  Led to another
benny:

Ed Rice, the owner, saw my flies at
the table and invited me to tie at the San Mateo Show a month later- all
expenses paid, plus a free booth (not table) for me to tie and sell, and
Cheryl to assist me.  I earned it with five 12-hour days on the
job.  Sold tons of Fantasy Flies and took a lot of orders and met a lot of
folks.  Pete told me that was the only time he had ever
seen Ed pick up tier expenses for any show.  Another neat benny for
the Denver Show is that I've been featured twice in the Denver Post Sports
section at ISE time.  Great publicity for my Fantasy Flies.

The next show I was invited to was the next year
FFF conclave at the Outlaw Inn in Kalispel, MT.  Assistance - block of
cheaper rooms and lunch tickets.  Sold lots of flies there too.  And
met a ton of real celebrities, one of whom was Lefty.

After that, the Green River Fly Swap had me tie at
their show for 7 years (after which they lost their city funding), paying an
appearance fee ($$), mileage, and picking up the room.  Also got a
free double booth as the main co-attraction along with (different years) Jack
Dennis, Mike Lawson, & Gary Lafontaine.  Got to sell boucou
flies.  Got free concession food and drinks, coffee, etc.  Plus the
red-carpet treatment.

Have tied at the Denver ISE every year since.
Get a new shirt each year and free entrance for me and Cheryl.  Last year
they gave Cheryl an honorary shirt just for being stuck with Buggs.
So what's that- about 14 ISE shirts now?  LOL

Different shows come with different bennies.
Chuck gave me me the front door booth for the first year, and then a double
tying table each year after that.  He usually gets good room deals, and
Cheryl gets free entry. I like tying for Chuck as he realizes how important the
tiers are to his show.  He has a special low price for his show
shirts.  I have about twenty fly-show fishing shirts now, way too many to
wear.

The West Denver TU years ago (2001+/-) gave me the
celebrity booth with Tom Whiting and paid expenses for me to tie until the
locals got upset, and so I quit that show- too much politics.  Made a lot
of good friends there, tho.

I've tied across the country from Florida to Cal.
to New Orleans to New Jersey to Holland - dozens and dozens of shows of all
kinds in between.  It's all been good- no complaints really- just burned
out.  It's always a decision made freely to tie or not to tie.  The
show I'll never forget was Holland, and the hospitality and generosity and
comradery and...

If I accepted every show invitation and
was fabulously wealthy like Mark R., I'd be doing a
show every weekend too, and fishing my way in between.  Wait...
Cheryl just said "No way, Hose' ".

So I've decided now to stay at home, tie, and drink
beer with Buggs and Dr. D, and make DVDs.   Buuuuurp!