From: "Hans Weilenmann" <hans.weilenm...@gmail.com>
To: <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [VFB] re: help with spider type flies

Joyce,

The recipe shows the order.

Tie in hackle at eye, touching turns of silk towards bend. Untwist and
split silk, insert a tiny amount of dubbing, and re-twist silk to run
towards eye first in open turn ribbing, and then touching turns for a
slender thorax. Wrap hackle away from eye towards the hanging silk,
trap hackle tip and continue cutting through hackle wraps to eye for
the whip finish. There is no dubbing under the hackle in the Badger &
Orange example.

On other patterns there may be, and often is a twisting together of
hackle and split-thread-dubbed thread or just hackle/silk twisted
together as in the following examples:

Olive Spider (variant)
Hook: Kamasan B175 #14
Body: Tying silk - kept very short
Hackle: Hackle, dark olive - twisted together with tying thread before
wrapping
Head: Fluey barbs from base of hackle, dubbed onto thread

Grizzly Spider (variant)
Hook: Kamasan B175 #14
Body: Tying thread - kept very short
Hackle: Hackle, grizzly - twisted together with tying thread before wrapping

Note: With a nod and a wink in the Stewart's Black Spider direction

Cheers,
Hans W