Joyce,

On dry flies, I tie the wide end in first by a projection of the
clipped stem along the side of the hook and in front of the wing.  If
it's a two-hackle fly (e.g. Adams), I tie them both in with the stem
fragment in front of the wing.

Then I wrap the thread behind the wing to lock the feather in at that
point, bring the thread back to the
front, then wind the hackle to the front and tie off.

Why?  Reminds me of my kids:  WHY, DADDY?  WHY, MOMMY?   And I'll
give you the same answer:
Because!  That's why!  ;-)  Actually, if I try wind the thread
through the hackle, I have a hard time not binding down hackle barbs.
This way works for me.

There are plenty of ways to do it, but I think the most important
thing is to do whatever works best for the person tying.

On wet flies, I tie the clipped tip in first.

On Wooly Buggers and Wooly Worms, I tie in the tip end at the back of
the hook shank and palmer forward, placing the longest barbs at the
front.  I was taught to do it this way "so it would push more water."
Maybe an old wives'........er.......tyer's tail, but it's hard to
break an old habit.

And I STILL say that the BEST way is whatever the tyer prefers to do it.

A.
--
Allan Fish
Greenwood, IN