From: Neville Gosling <nev.gosl...@shaw.ca>
Subject: [VFB] VFB Then & Now -Suggestion
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 2:40 PM

David:

This is a quote taken directly from my Jan 2010 newsletter sent to my
fellow club members

"I returned from the

 United Kingdom just three days ago after my
longest ever stay in the UK
since coming to
 Canada in 1972.  Every time that I go back, I find things
just that little bit different.  It
is no longer the same country that I left all those years ago, but then again,
neither is the
 Canada that I returned to the same as
the one I came to in 1972.
 Canada has become more urbanized over
the years.  While in the
 UK , I read a book by W.D.
Wetherell entitled “North of Now” that discusses country life in
 New Hampshire and
 Vermont , and the fact that country life is
changing and in many cases disappearing. The quotation  “Change is inevitable.
Change is
Constant” is attributed to Benjamin Disraeli and is so true.  I believe that in
order to continue as a
strong and respected club, the Totem Flyfishers must also change, but change is
stressful and tends to invoke resistance.  Traditions are important and
comfortable,
so how does one balance retaining important traditions with change? Another
quote, this time by Niccolo Machiavelli states; “Whosoever
desires constant success must change his conduct with the times.”  I believe
that we must adapt with the
times in order to attract new and younger members.  In my opinion, the present
average age
of members is too great and we must bring in new and if possible younger
persons
in order to have a group of younger like-minded members to pass the club on
to.  I am pleased to say that I
believe that we are just beginning to make a little progress in this area and I
ask each of you to diligently look out for potential new members as we go
forward into 2010. "

So, in answer to your question, I
think that the VFB must change in order to attract more members. Although I
prefer the e-mail list, I suggest that we TRY the forum approach. Just take a
look at this http://speypages.com/speyclave/ and
look at the number of posts and threads.  http://www.flybc.ca is
similar.

That's my 2 cents worth.