Wes,
I have a collections of hundreds of threads of all kinds for tying threads-
standard threads, kevlars, spun gels, nylons, flat, wound, braided, waxed,
unwaxed, rod-binding, millinery, monos, floss, you name it, from almost
microscopic (for #32s) to 50# test Gorilla-braid (for marlin flies).

Because threads have more properties than just diameter, I find on many ties
that it is easier/better to use multiple threads for different stages of the
fly.  Like with the rope-dub, I may want to tie with a flat thread, but
actually do the rope on wire or mono, then build the thorax with the flat
thread that will tie in the legs easily, then swap to a head color to get the
final look that I want. Just depends on the fly and materials used.

Many times I just want strength, and choosing a thread that has the strength I
need and the other properties I want for the tie is a matter of trial and
error.  One problem is that most of my threads no longer have any designations
left on the spool, so I'm just guessing by looking at the properties what the
stuff is.  I test the strength, look at how it lays down, and then use it if it
works.  If I'm finishing a head, I look for a flat waxed thread of proper
color, as it will build up more neatly.  Sometimes I use the light under-belly
color and then use markers for the darker over-color.  I try to keep threads
grouped by kinds, but that doesn't always work.

This year, orange seems to be moving in as the most popular color (did well
last year)- probably all started by Tony and his Chili-pepper.  LOL  Orange
(flourescent) hares ears, scuds, San Juans, emergers, buggers, streamers, and
just about anything in orange or with orange accents.  So my orange thread will
go on a lot of heads.